Monday, March 24, 2014

Gardening

Chapter 22

Gardening


This past week my companion and I had the opportunity to do service for a lady named Alice who used to meet with missionaries before I arrived in this area. She thought we were kidding when we said would love to come and help her do yard work. I guess that she thought the idea of getting to wear pants for a day and working out in the sun might not have sounded appealing, but trust me, we weren't kidding. It seems like a simple thing, but helping Alice was definitely one of the highlights of my week! She had surgery on her hand a few weeks ago and hasn't been able to do much with it since. We helped her prepare her garden to be planted by turning over all the dirt and laying down new soil. It was fun working in the sun and seeing the progress that was made. We were able to talk with Alice about the church, but mostly about her life and the things that are important to her. She is a great lady!!
Often times people see us missionaries and think we just want to preach. They are often taken by surprise when instead of trying to push our religion on them we simply want to know what matters to them and help out. The Savior knows how to help each and every one of us because he knows each and every one of us. His hand is always reached out to us, we just need to accept it, and sometimes that is hard. As a missionary I try to help others accept his hand by showing them His love. I still have a long way to go, but I will keep trying because I know that I am in the right place. One thing I always try to remember is this "People aren't going to care how much you know, until they know how much you care." 
Well, that’s enough of my rambling. I Love you all and hope everyone has a good week!
Love, Sister Harris 



No comments:

Post a Comment